Practical Considerations for Structuring Private REITs
Speakers: Alex Bruvels, Michael Shannon and Andrew Stirling
November 9, 2021: Agenda
Event Time: 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm (ET)
Despite volatility, the market for Canadian REITs continues to rally creating opportunity for new players in a number of asset classes. Join us for a discussion on the practical considerations for structuring private REITs.
- Identifying your investors and navigating the regulatory waters of capital raising
- Engaging exempt market dealers - “captive” or third party dealers?
- REIT fees charged to investors - what is permissible & market?
- Status of substantial proposed changes to the “OM” exemption and impact on REIT capital raising
- Importance of identifying a REIT’s “exit strategy” at inception of the REIT
- Tax considerations in connection with the establishment and operation of the REIT
- Eligibility for RRSPs, TFSAs and other registered plans
- Alex Bruvels, Partner, Capital Markets & Securities, McMillan LLP
- Michael Shannon, Partner, Capital Markets & Securities, McMillan LLP
- Andrew Stirling, Partner, Tax, McMillan LLP